Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


26 July 2010

Salt & Vinegar Grilled Potatoes



My husband loves salt & vinegar potato chips so I came up with this as an homage to that flavor combination. They are delicious and easy!

This makes a lot of potatoes and I typically use the leftovers in a potato salad with an array of other grilled vegetables. Being a trained cook, it has been deeply instilled in me to always reinvent and never throw out food. As such I'm always trying to reimagine how to use what I have left from one night to the next. These potatoes actually get more flavorful overnight and are delicious in a cold salad with grilled artichokes, picholine olives, manchego & basil. That will certainly be making an appearance on my table tomorrow night.

Enjoy!


Salt & Vinegar Grilled Potatoes:

2# large fingerling potatoes (preferably gold varieties like 'russian banana' or 'french gold')
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 TB olive oil
coarse salt for finishing

1) Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise. Place the potatoes, vinegar, and water in a 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until barely fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain off the liquid and place the potatoes in a large bowl with the salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss gently to coat well.

2) Heat the grill to 450 degrees. Place the potatoes, cut side down, onto the hot grill. Cook until grill marks are present. Turn the potatoes 90 degrees and cook again, to create cross-hatch grill pattern. Flip potatoes and continue to cook, skin side down, until the skin is golden brown and blistered and the potatoes are fully cooked and tender.

3) Drizzle with finishing oil (truffle oil, lemon oil, garlic oil....) and sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve warm.




2 comments:

  1. You may have seen on Facebook that I gave these bad boys a try, and they came out quite nice, though I was in a rush at the store and ended up with Yukon Gold potatoes instead of fingerling. Is there a big difference in flavor? Also, I was cooking meat with mine, and it was difficult managing the grill and timing everything right (and I have charcoal and the heat was too high at first so I burned a few! oops!) I don't think I really paired them well with the rest of my dinner, as the acidity was a bit much, but they were delicious on their own and have me thinking about what else would go well. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is awesome! Loved everything about it! Leftovers would be so good in a P. salad of sorts with that vinegar soaked in . Not too much acid just right! YUM

    ReplyDelete