Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


02 August 2010

Popovers!


This delicious recipe is courtesy of my friend, Katie. Katie's one of those inspiring people that 'does it all' with ease and grace, including making these amazing treats which are officially my latest obsession. After purchasing my new popover pan today and testing the recipe, I can affirm that they are truly divine. If you make homemade preserves, these are a perfect vehicle for those sweet fruit conserves. Give these a try on your next lazy weekend morning (or dinner, or dessert, or snack). I promise that they'll be something you come back to again and again.

Katie writes, "My mom was a great cook but not a baker. The popover is one of the only things I remember her baking for us and they were always such a welcomed treat. For years I wanted to buy myself a popover pan and just never did until I decided to make them for my family on Christmas morning. They were such a hit with the whole family that I've been making them religiously ever since and they're one of my most requested dishes. I've actually succeeded in creating a popover obsession around my house and a new family memory all on my own."

It's important to note that these bake for 35-40 minutes at two different temperatures. Don't neglect this part, it's a very important step. Starting with the oven higher allows the impressive height and the beautiful brown crust to form. Turning them down halfway through baking allows for that delicious custardy middle which is so important in the final product.

Enjoy!

Popovers:
Yields 6 large portions

*This recipe requires a standard 6 portion popover pan

1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups milk
2 TB melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees and set rack in middle. Preheat popover pan in the oven about 2 minutes until the butter is bubbly.

2) Place 1/2 tsp melted butter into each popover cup. Whisk together the flours, salt, eggs, milk, and remaining melted butter until mixture resembles pancake batter. The batter is best when used at room temperature.

3) Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter and bake 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce oven temp to 325 and continue baking for 15-20 minutes more.
4) Serve warm, right from the oven, with butter and jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment