Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


17 December 2010

Gingerbread




I really look forward to a good gingerbread round 'bout this time of year. Now, procuring what I deem a 'good' gingerbread can be quite an arduous task. I often find myself disappointed by the restrained flavors in most gingerbread. They're just not spicy or gingery enough for my taste.

I really want to taste that gingery bite and all the deep richness of spices and molasses. This recipe is for just that kind of gingerbread. The cake itself is quite light but the molasses gives it a sticky indulgence. The color is that of dark chocolate and just perfect for a showering of snowy white powdered sugar. I can almost see those little plastic trees and woodland creatures adorning the cake. But I shall resist such kitschy temptations this one time, if only for the benefit of you, my readers.

I encourage you to make this cake before xmas. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!
Enjoy!!

Gingerbread:
Yields 1, 9"x13" cake

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap)
2 TB fresh ginger, grated
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup blanched almond meal
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp five spice powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground ginger
2 large eggs, at room temperature
powdered sugar, for dusting


1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment. Bring the 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the baking soda and stir to dissolve. Set aside.

2) In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the fresh ginger, baking soda & water mixture, and the molasses. Mix to combine and scrape down the bowl. Add the flours with the spices. Mix. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix again to combine well.

3) Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan. When completely cool, invert cake onto serving plate and remove the parchment. Slice into 2" square portions. Dust the whole thing liberally with powdered sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment