Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


16 February 2011

Quick Chickpea Coconut Curry




This quick dinner is my new favorite thing. Cooking a bunch of vegetables together with spices and legumes and serving it over long grain brown rice with cucumber raita on the side. Yumm.

I love Indian flavors but sometimes don't love eating in Indian restaurants. I often find the food served to be heavy and oily and when it's not, it's generally too spicy for me. I love making Indian food at home though since I can make it just how I like it... deep and savory, just spicy enough, hearty yet not heavy.

I'm hardly a traditionalist so I mix flavors I like together, in this case coconut and Indian curry spices. I know, coconut milk lends itself more to Thai curries but this really does work. Next time you're wondering what to make for dinner, adapt this flexible recipe to what you have on hand.

Enjoy!!

Quick Chickpea Coconut Curry:
Yields 4 servings

2, 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well (I like Eden brand)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2" dice
2 ribs celery, chopped into 1/2" dice
1 bunch swiss chard, sliced into 1/2" ribbons
2 TB tomato paste
1 TB sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
2 TB olive oil
2 tsp yellow curry powder ( I like Morton & Basset curry powder)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne (or to taste)

1) In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt & pepper and stir until the vegetables just begin to soften. Add the curry powder, cayenne, and cumin seeds, and stir until the spices are fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar, and stir to deglaze the pan. Stir in the chickpeas, chard, coconut milk, and vegetable stock. Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

2) Cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced by about half. Serve over brown basmati rice with cucumber & yogurt sauce alongside.










1 comment:

  1. I have recently come to love the Trader Joe's yellow or Madras curry powder. It's intense and bright. :)

    ReplyDelete