Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


18 March 2010

Grilled Fish Tacos


We finally brought out the grill last night which I guess means that it's officially springtime. The weather certainly is cooperating. It's one of those beautiful clear & warm, yet crisp days outside where everything feels alive. That also means, by my estimation, that it's a perfect night for fish tacos!

I know I say that a lot of things are my 'favorite' but honestly, this is really really one of my very favorite things ever to eat. I could probably eat grilled fish tacos every night and never tire. It must be the Californian in me. I just can't go for too long without them. Oh yes, and a proper margarita to wash it all down is very important as well.

A firm white flesh fish is the best here as it holds up well both on the grill and in the tortilla. I found some lovely Ono yesterday, line caught off the San Diego coast. Other fishes like Halibut, Mahi Mahi or Opah would be equally good here. I like my tacos very simply garnished with lettuce, radishes, cilantro, avocado, and a bit of sour cream. In the summer I make a spicy and sweet stone fruit salsa with nectarines and plums, but I'm getting ahead of myself....

I'm including the recipe below for the version I'm making tonight but as always, use the technique as an inspiration for what looks best at your market and the flavors you favor.

Grilled Fish Tacos- Spring:
Yields 4 generous servings:

1 # white fleshed fish fillet (I used Ono)
8 corn tortillas
4 TB lowfat sour cream
4 radishes, very thinly sliced
8 leaves red butter lettuce
1 Haas avocado
10 springs Cilantro
1 TB Olive Oil
Sea Salt & freshly ground black pepper

1) Preheat the grill to 450 degrees. Brush the fish fillets with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt & pepper. Place them on the grill, turning twice during cooking. Cook about 10-12 minutes until just cooked through yet still tender and flaky.

2) Meanwhile, slice the radishes and the avocado, and remove the leaves from the Cilantro stems. Heat the tortillas, either on the stove top or in the microwave.

3) When the fish is cooked, lay one lettuce leaf on each tortilla, place a few slices of grilled fish on top. Garnish with radishes, avocado, and sour cream. Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment