Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


20 February 2010

Crepes Sucre with Ricotta, Strawberries, & Marmalade


We all know by now that I looove crepes! They make me think of France, and I looove France! I've shared my recipe for Buckwheat Crepes here already but tonight's crepes are the sweet version, Crepes Sucre. In Paris there's a crepe carte on practically every corner selling these yummy portable snacks. They're sweet and tender served with all sorts of fillings. There's the ever popular Nutella, my personal favorite of sugar and jam (yes, both), and the traditional 'sucre' (sugar only). 

Since making my Meyer Lemon & Vanilla Bean Marmalade the other day, I've been trying to think up with lots of ways to use it, other than just spreading it on toast (which I also highly recommend). I thought this would be a fun Saturday evening dinner and a good way to incorporate the marmalade. 

This dish is obviously more of a brunch item but I thought it would be a fun change for dinner. My husband reported that this was one of his favorite dinners ever. So, apparently this won't be the last time 'crepes sucre' grace our dinner table.

The crepes are filled with a lemony-ricotta filling, and a bit of my marmalade. If you haven't yet made my marmalade recipe, just use any store bought orange or lemon version that you fancy. I'm serving these crepes with butter (of course!), fresh strawberries, and little dollops of the marmalade on top. Enjoy!

Crepes Sucre:
yields about 8, 10" crepes

3/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups part skim Ricotta
1 pint strawberries, sliced
zest from 1/2 lemon
2 TB honey

1) In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk, vanilla, and eggs. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk all until well combined.

2) Set the batter aside in the refrigerator to rest at least 2 hours or overnight.

3) In the meantime, slice the strawberries and make the ricotta filling. For the filling, stir together the ricotta, the lemon zest, and the honey in small bowl until combined. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.

4) When the batter has rested, heat a 10" nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a little butter and swirl it around until melted. Add about 3 TB of your crepe batter to the hot pan and swirl it around to spread it out over the entire bottom of the pan in one very thin layer. Cook until the edges are just brown and the bottom is barely golden.

5) In one motion, use your spatula to flip the entire crepe over. Spread a small amount of marmalade on one side of the crepe, followed by some of the ricotta filling. Continue cooking about 1-2 minutes. Fold the crepe in half, enclosing the filling, then fold it in half again, making a little triangle parcel. Slide the finished crepe out onto a warm plate and keep covered tightly with foil until ready to serve. Repeat with the remaining crepes.






No comments:

Post a Comment