Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


15 April 2010

Blood Orange Frozen Yogurt


I recently received a huge bag of blood oranges, a wonderful treat from a friend's tree. I love blood oranges, obviously for their beautiful color but also for their distinct brand of tart orangey-ness which is really something special. I juiced them all yesterday and have many ideas for the litres of freshly squeezed goodness awaiting me in the fridge. I'm sure I'll be posting the results here in the coming days.

I used some juice right away for this batch of frozen yogurt. I'm a big fan of frozen yogurt, or all things yogurt for that matter. I just love that creamy tartness. This frozen treat was indeed pleasantly tart yet just sweet enough to make for a proper dessert. The best part though was the color! It turned out the most gorgeous shade of soft, peachy pink.

Making frozen yogurt is practically the easiest thing ever. If you haven't done it yet, I do encourage you to give it a try. All you need is some fresh pureed fruit or juice, some strained yogurt, a little sweetener, and an ice cream freezer. 30 minutes later.... Voila!

Blood Orange Frozen Yogurt:
yields 1 quart

21 oz plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)
3/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice, strained
2 TB agave nectar (or liquid honey)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 TB Grand Marnier (or Cointreau or Campari)

1) In a blender, whiz together all of the ingredients until combined. Pour into an ice cream freezer and churn according to manufacturers instructions.

*Note- Frozen yogurt is best eaten soon after it's churned for best texture. If you do decide to store it in the freezer, just make sure you give it at least 30 minutes on the counter before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment