Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


11 April 2010

Fresh Lime Tart


I've been lucky enough to have a bumper crop of the most beautiful heirloom limes this past winter. I've had the tree for years and every season it produces a few delicious treasures. This year the tree was absolutely laden with fruit, which lasted for months and months, harvesting a few every day or two. The limes are 'Bearss' variety and have bright yellow skin with green flesh. They're super juicy and their flavor is distinctly tart and limey yet sweeter than the typical persian limes. I've been harvesting since last November and just this morning plucked my last six limes of the season.

I thought I should honor their bounty and use 'the last of the last' for something special. So, I decided to make a version of Martha's easy Key Lime Tart. It's so simple and quick, you could make this for dessert on any weeknight. I'm offering an alternate to using the condensed milk in the recipe that still maintains both the right texture and the good balance of sweet-tartness. However, I'll admit it's pretty delicious as is. The color of this tart is so vibrant that it really needs no adornments. Or, you could serve it with a few sliced strawberries or a twirl of candied lime zest if you'd like.

Give this one a try. I think it will quickly become a 'go to' recipe for you. I know it will continue to be for me!

Fresh Lime Tart:
Yields 1, 9" tart

10 amaranth 'graham' style crackers (standard 2 1/2 x5" crackers)
3 TB unsalted butter, melted
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 TB lime zest (from 2-3 limes)
1, 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (or 1 1/4 cups heavy cream plus 3 TB agave nectar)
1/2 tsp salt

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Line a baking sheet with foil. Have a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom ready.

2) In a food processor, grind the amaranth crackers to fine crumbs. Add the melted butter until combined. Press the graham cracker mixture into the tart pan. I find pressing the crumbs in with the back of a measuring cup, making sure to press firmly where the bottom meets the sides, works well for me. Bake the crust until just golden brown, about 10 minutes.

3) Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the sugar, egg yolks, lime zest, lime juice, salt, and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk to combine. Pour the mixture into the par baked crust (warm is just fine). Bake until the filling is just set, about 20-25 minutes.

4) Cool completely at room temperature then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. You can also make this a day ahead and chill overnight. To store longer, cover loosely with plastic wrap.

*photo from Sunset Magazine







No comments:

Post a Comment