Make dinner tonight, inspired!

Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? This is your place for quick and healthy meal inspirations. Here you'll find recipes for seasonally focused dinners, desserts, breakfasts, and everything in between.

My cooking focuses on the freshest ingredients prepared in a simple and careful way, to highlight their uniqueness. My own diet is primarily vegetarian, but does include sustainable fish and seafood, and is gluten free.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you!


22 November 2010

Cranberry Conserve & Vanilla Scented Sweet Potatoes



As promised, I'm updating my previous post about Thanksgiving recipes with some of my own experiences and photos.

I made Ina's cranberry conserve today and I now remember why I make this every single year. I just love it. It's the perfect blend of sweet and tart, with emphasis on tart. The cranberries are like ruby red jewels in the sauce and it's lightly flavored with orange. I omit the raisins and walnuts, and lemon zest from Ina's original recipe. I also reduce the sugar as I love the natural tartness of the berries. I'm sharing my adapted recipe below.

I also made the Vanilla Scented Sweet Potatoes from Heidi Swanson's blog today as well. This was my first time with this recipe but let's just say that they are so incredibly divine I just can't even stand it! I mean really really really good. I doubled the original recipe and I could have eaten the whole entire thing, just by myself... but I held back... at least until breakfast tomorrow. You can refer to Heidi's recipe for this one. I didn't change a thing and neither should you. It's perfect!

I do hope both of these recipes will find a place at your table this Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is pie baking day for the bakery so I'll be sure to photograph some of those beauties and share them here with you as well.

Enjoy!!

Cranberry Fruit Conserve
Yields about 4 cups

1, 12oz bag fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 orange, zest grated and juiced

1) In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, and water. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until the skins just begin to burst. Add the apple, orange zest and juice and continue cooking, about 10-15 minutes more.

2) Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least two hours or until well chilled. Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment